The founder of the Protestant Reformation, Martin Luther wrote: “I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter.”
(Luter, Martin. De Wette II, 459, ibid., pp. 329–330.)
What have we done to the Africans in the name of Christianity? Polygamy which Christ does not forbid, we have fought against as the greatest of all evils, but divorce and remarriage which he does forbid, we have introduced. We have truly managed to Europeanize them. Mission theory should teach us to preach the gospel but not our own national traditions.
— Harold Turner, Presbyterian missionary
Owusu, Sam (2007). “Towards a Theology of Marriage and Polygamy”. Direction. 36 (2): 192–205.
Categories: Christianity, Polygamy
That’s right, God not forbid polygamy, but some Christian forbid themselves about it and forbid themselves to get married. That’s why so many sex abuse happening in church.
– Catholic Church sex abuse scandals around the world – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10407559
– More than 300 “predator priests” were found to have committed sexual abuse in Pennsylvania, harming more than 1,000 children – https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/14/more-than-300-pennsylvania-priests-committed-sexual-abuse-over-decades
– Child sexual abuse and the Catholic Church: What you need to know – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-44209971
– Pope admits clerical abuse of nuns including sexual slavery – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47134033
– Inside the horrifying, unspoken world of sexually abusive nuns – https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/inside-the-horrifying-unspoken-world-of-sexually-abusive-nuns/
– Vatican official came into my room and raped me: ex-nun – https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/vatican-official-came-into-my-room-and-raped-me-exnun-37777317.html
I admit sex abuse is happening anywhere, anyplace and any religion but to forbid married and polygamy is against God’s will. (I’m talking about man and woman married, NOT gay married)